Sunday, 3 February 2013

Day 1 - Galaxy Nails

OK. It seems that I didn't read the rules properly and missed out the last day that I was supposed to send a request to Erica to take part in her challenge. Oopsie! Owh well, Since I have already done a few designs, I shall continue with the challenge whether or not I am linked with the other wonderful ladies.
----------
Galaxy nails. One of the many nail art techniques I was crazy scared to try. I always loved to see them on other nail bloggers but was afraid that I will never be able to do it as nicely or perfectly. Well, I guess I was wrong!

This really is one really easy manicure to do!


All you need is a bunch of complementing nail polishes, a regular make-up sponge and a dotting tool. I did not know which way to go with my galaxies and pulled out a bunch of purples and a pink for this challenge. 


I started with a black base and sponged nebula shapes with my polishes, starting with the darkest tone as the base of the nebulae to the lightest as highlights. After all this was done I decided to add some glitter for glitz. I used Cult Nails Hypnotie Me on the clouds itself and dabbed a bit of Glitzology Purple Rain on the sides for extra oomph! After all that has dried a little I took my dotting tool and some white polish and dotted on some stars.

I actually started this manicure quite differently. take a look at my thumb here.


Initially I was inspired by this tutorial at The Daily Nail but changed my mind and did it in purples instead. While editing the photos I thought that my original idea looked pretty cool. And Hypnotize Me really did brings out the greens and yellows I used.

 

I think I may redo this on all my nails one day. What do you think? Do you prefer the purples or is a multi colored nebula more your cup of tea?


Polishes I used in this manicure:
Sally Hansen Purple Potion
Cult Nails Hypnotize Me
Glitzology Purple Rain
Etude House CPP001
OPI That's Hot Pink
OPI Alpine Snow
OPI Black Onyx