Saturday, 10 November 2012

Purple is the way to go November

I am still sick but I definitely have to get this post out!

I've been catching up on all the blog posts I missed out from when I was out sick the past few days and noticed that there were a lot of purple manicures on other blogs. After a little snooping I finally found out what it was all about.


Bullying is not funny. It is not cool. It is not right. And more importantly, it is not okay.
Most of us are thankfully residents of countries that support tolerance and many of our families have settled in these places simply for that reason. Generations later, it is our responsibility to perpetuate that message of tolerance across our new social platforms, including the internet.
As members of the nail polish community, we all share a love of beauty, color, and lacquer. Other than that, we are remarkably different: from our race to our religion to our hair color and even to our polish application techniques.
To look down on anyone because of those differences is completely unacceptable and today I take a stand against that. I refuse to allow other people's view of "normal" dictate how I behave, believe, and blog. In solidarity with a multitude of bloggers linked below, my purple manicure represents my proud commitment to the No H8 movement.

Aside for this No H8 campaign, purple (or rather the purple ribbon) is the color for Pancreatic Cancer Awareness. I personally have lost a very dear person to pancreatic cancer just last year.  On Halloween Day last year in fact. The passing of this dear friend and mentor really had quite a big impact on me.

On to some quick facts about pancreatic cancer. Pancreatic cancer is one of the fastest killing cancers around. By the time you are diagnosed, it is usually too late. And the survival rate from pancreatic cancer - very very low. 3% only according to THIS website.

I am not going to plunge into an essay writing mode and bombard you with any more words that might bore you are depress you. So with that I dedicate my purple mani to both of this causes! Do enjoy!

 I first started off my manicure with Look at Her, the light lavender/lilac polish which I recently bought from Etude house. This polish went on surprisingly good! It covered nicely in two careful coats.

Morning Sun

Evening Sun

I then pulled out Halloween Day (the purple glitter) and added a reverse gradient to my nails! I started off using a sponge but it did not come out as I imagined. It was really messy too!! I eventually just used the brush and dabbed the glitter on my nails.


The photo above is post cleanup and glitter was still all over the place! One thing I noticed after adding the glitter gradient is that the polish leans very much to a light blue instead of lilac!


I went ahead and took many photos of this mani under different lights to showcase this polish as close as I could. I wanted to have some with natural lighting but unfortunately it was pouring the whole day yesterday!




The photos above are probably the best of the 20 odd photos taken in my room.

The place that photographed closest to the actual nail polish - my office! I only managed one good shot and one slightly blurry one though. I did not want to keep snapping photos of my hands in the office.


This photo though blurry actually shows off the glitter the best. You can actually see the purple shine through all that blue.



Before you leave, let me show you a photo I posted on instagram last night!

This was my #ootd yesterday. I knew I was going to do this this month for the Pancreatic Cancer Awareness Campaign. I incorporate as many purple pieces as I could into my outfit with out looking like an eggplant!
Yep, I still have my long hair. I am still torn whether to cut it off and keep it till someone comes along asking for 'hair donations' or to just keep it long.