Tuesday, 20 November 2012

I got some awesome new nail stuff!

I got me a HUGE bottle of base coat and a liner/dotter today!


HAHAHA! Get it??

OK. Jokes aside, I have been reading a whole lot about using PVA glue as a base coat for glitter so I thought that I should give it a go too :)

When I first opened the bottle of glue, it was really really thick so I decided that I had to water it down. So, i busted out an empty mini bottle I had lying around and added 1 part of glue to 1 part water. I mixed it up and went on my merry way of painting my nails.

*Let me tell you this, waiting for the PVA to dry was nothing like waiting for base coat to dry. It takes way, way longer than normal base coat does.*

Anyways, I decided to use OPI Crown Me Already, one of my most chunky glitters to test the wonders of a peel off base on my left hand. And on my right hand I used NYX Mushroom Glitter. I applied 3 coats of each and topped it off with Seche Vite.


I love Crown Me Already! The mix of chunky and fine glitter makes it really interesting. And since all the glitter are the same shade of silver, there is a hidden depth to the manicure.



Mushroom Glitter on the other hand is a nice smooth taupe glitter. It applies really well and doesn't eat top coat. I usually use this polish in glitter gradients as the fine glitters make it much easier to create a smooth gradient.


SV did it again! Shrinkage on the tips I mean.


On to the removal!!

I did not have an easy time getting the glitter off my nails!! I soaked them in warm water for a bit but it didn't work out too well :( I managed to get it all off in the end though. While I was taking a hot shower that is! No photos of the process for you but I do have a few of the glitters.

Tadaa!!

The 'basecoat' and glitters!

Unlike most bloggers who has tried this method, the glitter did not peel off in one nice coat for me. I don't know if it was because I added water to my PVA glue. =/

But that said, my fingernails were 99% glitter free by the end of my shower! I did not have to pry too hard to get the glitter off. Just a quick nudge on the edge of the polish and it started to come off.


The glitter that did not come off was mostly on the sides of my nail bed and on the tips. I was tempted to scratch this all off in the shower but did not because I was afraid that that would cause extreme peeling to my nails.


Would I do this again? Of course I would! With just straight up PVA glue that is. The thought of not having to use the foil method will be my motivation!


Has anyone tried this method before? I would love to hear your experiences and of course I would like to know if any of you lovelies out there have any tips for my next go.