Monday, 24 September 2012

Sunset Gradient

Remember the e.l.f. polish that had a fall not too long ago? This was the last mani I used it in before it ended in pieces.

If you look at many nail blogs out there, color gradient manicures are all over the place. It always looks so pretty to me but I never ever could get it right! I do a lot of gradients with glitter but never with color. When I first started playing around with color gradients, I couldn't get it quite right; the sponge would break off in small pieces on my nail, colors not coming off the sponge or even not blending well on the sponge. Honestly, I kinda gave up!

I put off the idea for the longest time. But about a months ago, I read that you needed a base color to bring out the colors. I don't know why I did not try on a base color before this!! So I went on my way and tried a gradient and now I am in love!

Of course there was also this tutorial from The Beauty Department which I used as my reference for this mani.

On to the pretty photos of this gradient!

Taken under the morning sun

I used 4 colors for this gradient:
Red - e.l.f Fire Coral
Pink - China Glaze Sugar Rush
Orange - Sally Hansen Sun Kissed
Yellow - China Glaze Lemon Fizz

Artificial Lighting

Taken in the carpark

The last photo is really grainy but the gradient looked the best here I just had to post it up :P

And finally the base color that saved it all - OPI My Boyfriend Scales Walls from the Spiderman Collection. A really really light grey or rather white with hints of grey in it. It went on effortlessly in 2 coats. :)